Monday 3 March 2008

A Sunday in Southampton

My visit to a Sunday service at Southampton-Bitterne spiritualist church just before Christmas has proved to be another useful reminder to me that the typical Sunday service at any spiritualist church has not changed by one iota during the last ten- years. I could be forgiven by some people for believing that I had just attended a service from 1998, the year I resigned my Vice-presdendancy and SNU ‘B’ status of the spiritualists’ union. It was also the year I last chaired a spiritualist meeting in my official capacity.

Why should it change you may ask ?

Bitterne Spiritualist church is enchanting in every way. The church sits on high ground overlooking several views of Southampton City. During my visit to the church, the officials were welcoming and friendly. The atmosphere was inviting and cosy in every sense and above the platform within the church loomed a banner stating...... ‘60 years of spiritualism’

The service was shepherded in the usual pattern as I recall from my previous brushes with spiritualist churches. In other words, A loudly sung Christian hymn followed by prayer and a reading. This was followed by more Christian hymns followed by the address and even more Christian hymns and finally, the short slot of time at the end which is normally set aside for clairvoyance lasted approximately 15 minutes ( less than 15% of the time allocated to the service in total ). The Medium, a somewhat banal character, appeared to have consumed more than her fair-share of sherry during the eating of mince-pies prior to the service.

As I sat in the congregation altogether wearied, I tried to focus on the typical attendee and understand why some people in the congregation have probably attended the church since the doors opened in 1948. It dawned on me that many people were delighted to be here in Bittern on a weekly basis to experience the general atmosphere and the cosiness which was truly inviting and tranquil.

Not withstanding the short session at the end of the service where the Medium attempted to join with the Spirit World but in my opinion, failed to bring any real communication from loved ones in spirit, I concluded that the service I attended was not dissimilar to a Christian gathering. I did not regret coming here but I did wonder why I spent money getting here when I could have attended the Christian service at St Peters in Fareham.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wish not agree on it. I assume polite post. Expressly the title-deed attracted me to study the unscathed story.